Epidermoid cyst signs and symptoms include:
- A small, round bump under the skin, usually on the face, trunk or neck
- A tiny blackhead plugging the central opening of the cyst
- A thick, yellow, foul-smelling material that sometimes drains from the cyst
- Redness, swelling and tenderness in the area, if inflamed or infected
When to see a doctor
Most epidermoid cysts don't cause problems or need treatment. See your doctor if you have one that:
May 29, 2014
- Grows rapidly
- Ruptures or becomes painful or infected
- Occurs in a spot that's constantly irritated
- Bothers you for cosmetic reasons
- Goldstein BG, et al. Overview of benign lesions of the skin. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2014.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Bolognia JL, et al. Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 20, 2014.
- McKee's Pathology of the Skin. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 20, 2014.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Dermatologic procedures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2014.
- Hruza GJ. Principles of laser and intense pulsed light for cutaneous lesions. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.