Persistent nervousness, worry and other anxiety symptoms can put you at risk of serious health problems. Take steps to ease your mind sooner rather than later.
Managing bipolar disorder can be a challenge. Stick to your treatment plan to keep mood swings under control.
Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
Lifestyle and home remedies
If you have seasonal affective disorder, don't spend a lot of money on a light box until you learn what features to consider.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Unexplained weight loss: Symptom — Overview covers possible causes of unexplained weight loss.
Treatments and drugs
Light therapy can improve symptoms related to seasonal affective disorder and several other conditions. Here's why and how it's used.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Sep. 22, 2011
- Saeed SA, et al. Seasonal affective disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 8, 2011.
- Seasonal pattern specifier. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed July 8, 2011.
- Ravindran AV, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine treatments. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) clinical guidelines for the management of major depressive disorder in adults. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2009;117:S54.
- Sarris J, et al. Kava and St. John's wort: Current evidence for use in mood and anxiety disorders. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2009;15:827.
- Iovino N, et al. Second-tier natural antidepressants: Review and critique. Journal of affective disorders. 2011;3:343.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.