- Experience and expertise. Doctors at Mayo Clinic have been treating childhood and adolescent scoliosis for more than 70 years. As many as 1,000 children visit Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for scoliosis care each year. About 150 of these patients require scoliosis surgery, which is performed by Mayo Clinic orthopedic surgeons specializing in child and adolescent spine disorders.
- Advanced diagnosis and treatment. Pediatric radiologists at Mayo Clinic use a range of imaging technologies, from digital full-spine X-rays for baseline curve measurement to high-volume CT scans and 3-D spinal modeling for guiding complex surgery in real time. Specialists in pediatric anesthesiology team up with orthopedists in scoliosis surgery.
- Team approach. Pediatric rehabilitation experts (physiatrists) join other pediatric subspecialists in nonsurgical scoliosis treatment, as well as in surgery planning. Nurse practitioners, social workers, and physical and occupational therapists are also involved in planning and delivering care.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for orthopedics.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Feb. 03, 2012
- Scoliosis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Scoliosis/default.asp. Accessed Dec. 19, 2011.
- Spiegel DA, et al. The spine. In: Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Dec. 19, 2011.
- Scheri SA. Clinical features, evaluation and diagnosis of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 19, 2011.
- Thomas MA, et al. Scoliosis and kyphosis. In: Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1678/0.html. Accessed Dec. 19, 2011.
- Mercier LR. Scoliosis. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed Dec. 19, 2011.
- Scherl SA. Treatment and prognosis of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 19, 2011.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Dec. 19, 2011.
- General nuclear medicine. American College of Radiology. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?PG=gennuclear. Accessed Dec. 19, 2011.
- AskMayoExpert. For what spine conditions are bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) used at Mayo Clinic? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.