Personality disorders affect the way you think, behave and relate to others. Learn about symptoms and treatments.
Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
April 11, 2013
- Personality disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed March 1, 2013.
- Sadock BJ, et al. Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=booktext&D=books2&AN=01412563/9th_Edition/5&XPATH=/OVIDBOOK%5b1%5d/METADATA%5b1%5d/TBY%5b1%5d/EDITORS%5b1%5d. Accessed March 3, 2013.
- Silk KR. Personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 3, 2013.
- Skodol A, et al. Approaches to the therapeutic relationship in patients with personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 3, 2013.
- McClure MM, et al. Functional outcomes, functional capacity, and cognitive impairment in schizotypal personality disorder. Schizophrenia Research. 2013;144:146.
- Afifi TO, et al. Childhood adversity and personality disorder: Results from a nationally representative population-based study. Journal of Psychiatric Research. 2011;45:814.
- Alarcon RD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 21, 2013.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2013.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 3, 2013.