Schizophrenia is a severe mental disorder in which people interpret reality abnormally. Schizophrenia may result in some combination of hallucinations, delusions, and extremely disordered thinking and behavior that impairs daily functioning, and can be disabling.
Schizophrenia is a chronic condition, requiring lifelong treatment.
Oct. 11, 2016
- Schizophrenia. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 19, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Schizophrenia. Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Schizophrenia. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/schizophrenia/index.shtml. Accessed July 19, 2016.
- Fischer BA, et al. Schizophrenia: Clinical manifestations, course, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- Fischer BA, et al. Schizophrenia: Epidemiology and pathogenesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- Stroup TS, et al. Pharmacotherapy for schizophrenia: Acute and maintenance phase treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- How to cope when a loved one has a serious mental illness. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/serious-mental-illness.aspx. Accessed July 19, 2016.
- Supporting a friend or family member with mental health problems. MentalHealth.gov. https://www.mentalhealth.gov/talk/friends-family-members/. Accessed July 19, 2016.
- Bustillo J, et al. Psychosocial intervention for schizophrenia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 23, 2016.
- Hales RE, et al. Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 6th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2014. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Aug. 2, 2016.
- Schak KM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 7, 2016.