Personality disorders affect the way you think, behave and relate to others. Learn about symptoms and treatments.
Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
July 27, 2013
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Personality disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=556§ionid=41101784#10344200. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Skodol A, et al. Approaches to the therapeutic relationship in patients with personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2013.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50041-X--cesec5&isbn=978-0-323-04743-2&sid=1451253590&uniqId=414361381-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50041-X--cesec8. Accessed April 27, 2013.
- Gabbard GO. Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2007. http://psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=4§ionid=1341864. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Triebwasser J, et al. Schizoid personality disorder. Journal of Personality Disorders. 2012;26:919.
- Feldman MD, et al. Behavioral Medicine: A Guide for Clinical Practice. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=6441825. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 17, 2013.