The exact causes of schizoid personality disorder are unknown, although a combination of genetic and environmental factors — particularly in early childhood — are thought to increase the risk of developing the disorder.
July 27, 2013
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Personality disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=556§ionid=41101784#10344200. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Skodol A, et al. Approaches to the therapeutic relationship in patients with personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2013.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50041-X--cesec5&isbn=978-0-323-04743-2&sid=1451253590&uniqId=414361381-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50041-X--cesec8. Accessed April 27, 2013.
- Gabbard GO. Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2007. http://psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=4§ionid=1341864. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Triebwasser J, et al. Schizoid personality disorder. Journal of Personality Disorders. 2012;26:919.
- Feldman MD, et al. Behavioral Medicine: A Guide for Clinical Practice. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=6441825. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 17, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.