The exact cause of schizoaffective disorder is not known. A combination of factors may contribute to its development, such as:
Jan. 25, 2014
- Genetic links
- Brain chemistry
- Brain development delays or variations
- Exposure in the womb to toxins or viral illness, or even birth complications
- Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed July 16, 2013.
- Schizoaffective disorder. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=23043. Accessed July 16, 2013.
- Malaspina D, et al. Schizoaffective disorder in the DSM-5. Schizophrenia Research. In press. Accessed July 16, 2013.
- Schak KM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 13, 2013.