SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Scabies signs and symptoms include:
- Itching, often severe and usually worse at night
- Thin, irregular burrow tracks made up of tiny blisters or bumps on your skin
The burrows or tracks typically appear in folds of your skin. Though almost any part of your body may be involved, in adults and older children scabies is most often found:
- Between fingers
- In armpits
- Around your waist
- Along the insides of wrists
- On your inner elbow
- On the soles of your feet
- Around breasts
- Around the male genital area
- On buttocks
- On knees
- On shoulder blades
In infants and young children, common sites of infestation include the:
- Palms of the hands
- Soles of the feet
If you've had scabies before, signs and symptoms may develop within a few days of exposure. However, if you've never had scabies, it could take as long as six weeks for signs and symptoms to begin. It's important to remember that you can still spread scabies even if you don't have any signs or symptoms yet.
When to see a doctor
Talk to your doctor if you have signs and symptoms that may indicate scabies.
Many skin conditions, such as dermatitis or eczema, are associated with itching and small bumps on the skin. Your doctor can help determine the exact cause and ensure that you receive proper treatment. Bathing and over-the-counter preparations won't eliminate scabies.
July 07, 2015
- Scabies. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Scabies. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/q---t/scabies. Accessed May 27, 2015
- Medications. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Stromectol (prescribing information). Whitehouse Station, N.J.: Merck & Co. Inc.; 2010. http://www.merck.com/product/prescription-products/home.html. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Permethrin cream (prescribing information). Bronx, N.Y.: Perrigo; 2010. http://www.perrigo.com/search.aspx?term=permehtrin%20cream. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Lindane lotion (prescribing information). Morton Grove, Ill.: Morton Grove Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2007. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=770415b2-4555-4abc-b5d6-c67dfb07ab30. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Eurax (prescribing information). Jacksonville, Fla.: Ranbaxy; 2009. http://euraxrx.com/. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 4, 2015.
- Parasites — scabies. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html. Accessed June 9, 2015.