Vigorous scratching can break your skin and allow a secondary bacterial infection, such as impetigo, to occur. Impetigo is a superficial infection of the skin that's caused most often by staph (staphylococci) bacteria or occasionally by strep (streptococci) bacteria.
A more severe form of scabies, called crusted scabies, may affect certain high-risk groups, including:
- People with chronic health conditions that weaken the immune system, such as HIV or chronic leukemia
- People who are very ill, such as people in hospitals or nursing facilities
- Older people in nursing homes
Crusted scabies, also called Norwegian scabies, tends to be crusty and scaly, and to cover large areas of the body. It's very contagious and can be hard to treat.
July 07, 2015
- Scabies. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Scabies. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/q---t/scabies. Accessed May 27, 2015
- Medications. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Stromectol (prescribing information). Whitehouse Station, N.J.: Merck & Co. Inc.; 2010. http://www.merck.com/product/prescription-products/home.html. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Permethrin cream (prescribing information). Bronx, N.Y.: Perrigo; 2010. http://www.perrigo.com/search.aspx?term=permehtrin%20cream. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Lindane lotion (prescribing information). Morton Grove, Ill.: Morton Grove Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2007. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=770415b2-4555-4abc-b5d6-c67dfb07ab30. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Eurax (prescribing information). Jacksonville, Fla.: Ranbaxy; 2009. http://euraxrx.com/. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 4, 2015.
- Parasites — scabies. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html. Accessed June 9, 2015.