Signs and symptoms of salivary gland cancer may include:
- A lump or swelling on or near your jaw or in your neck or mouth
- Numbness in part of your face
- Muscle weakness on one side of your face
- Persistent pain in the area of a salivary gland
- Difficulty swallowing
- Trouble opening your mouth widely
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any signs or symptoms that worry you.
Having a lump or area of swelling near your salivary gland is the most common sign of a salivary gland tumor, but it doesn't mean you have cancer. Most salivary gland tumors are noncancerous (benign). Many other noncancerous conditions may lead to a swollen salivary gland, including an infection or a stone in a salivary gland duct.
April 22, 2015
- Salivary gland cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/salivarygland/healthprofessional. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Flint PW, et al. Malignant neoplasms of the salivary glands. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Head and neck cancers. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Dry mouth or xerostomia. Cancer.Net. http://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/side-effects/dry-mouth-or-xerostomia. Accessed April 3, 2015.
- Cancer-related fatigue. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 17, 2014.
- Laurie SA. Salivary gland tumors: Epidemiology, diagnosis, evaluation and staging. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.