In general, your child won't need to see a doctor for a sacral dimple. If you have questions about the sacral dimple, you can also bring these up at your child's routine office visits.
Some questions you might want to ask your child's doctor include:
Oct. 15, 2015
- Does my child need any tests to be sure there's no other cause?
- Does the area need any special cleaning or care?
- Is any treatment necessary?
- Is a sacral dimple ever associated with more serious conditions?
- McKee-Garrett TM. Assessment of the newborn infant. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Zywicke HA, et al. Sacral dimples. Pediatrics in Review. 2011;32:109.
- Allan PL, et al. The infant spine. In: Clinical Ultrasound. 3rd ed. 2011. Elsevier Limited. Philadelphia, Pa. https://www.clinicalkey.com/home. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Kucera JN, et al. The simple sacral dimple: Diagnostic yield of ultrasound in neonates. Pediatric Radiology. 2015;45:211.