Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Blood transfusions boost blood levels that are low due to surgery, injury or disease. Learn about the benefits, risks and what to expect.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Splenectomy, surgery to remove the spleen, is most commonly used to treat a ruptured spleen, but it can be used to treat other disorders, too.
Apr. 10, 2013
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06715-0..X5001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06715-0&uniqId=230100505-56. Accessed Jan. 10, 2013.
- Gannon EH, et al. Splenic injuries in athletes: A review. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2010;9:111.
- DiSabatino A, et al. Post-splenectomy and hypo-splenic states. The Lancet. 2011;378:26.
- Townsend CM, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1565/0.html. Accessed Jan. 12, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Jan. 12, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What should be done before splenectomy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.