Tests and procedures used to diagnose a ruptured spleen include:
Apr. 10, 2013
- Physical exam. Your doctor will use his or her hands to place pressure on your abdomen to determine the size of your spleen and whether you're experiencing any abdominal tenderness.
- Drawing fluid from your abdomen. Your doctor may use a needle to draw a sample of fluid from your abdomen. If the sample reveals blood in your abdomen, you may be referred for emergency treatment.
- Imaging tests of your abdomen. If your diagnosis isn't clear, your doctor may recommend an abdominal CT scan or another imaging test to identify or rule out other possible causes of your symptoms.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06715-0..X5001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06715-0&uniqId=230100505-56. Accessed Jan. 10, 2013.
- Gannon EH, et al. Splenic injuries in athletes: A review. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2010;9:111.
- DiSabatino A, et al. Post-splenectomy and hypo-splenic states. The Lancet. 2011;378:26.
- Townsend CM, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1565/0.html. Accessed Jan. 12, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Jan. 12, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What should be done before splenectomy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.