Signs and symptoms of a ruptured spleen include:
- Pain in the upper left portion of the abdomen
- Tenderness when you touch the upper left portion of the abdomen
When to see a doctor
A ruptured spleen is a medical emergency. After an injury, if you have pain in the left upper abdomen or signs and symptoms that indicate internal bleeding — such as lightheadedness, confusion, blurred vision or fainting — seek emergency medical care.
Apr. 10, 2013
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06715-0..X5001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06715-0&uniqId=230100505-56. Accessed Jan. 10, 2013.
- Gannon EH, et al. Splenic injuries in athletes: A review. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2010;9:111.
- DiSabatino A, et al. Post-splenectomy and hypo-splenic states. The Lancet. 2011;378:26.
- Townsend CM, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1565/0.html. Accessed Jan. 12, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Jan. 12, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What should be done before splenectomy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.