Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments that treat this condition
Areas that research this condition
Mayo Clinic surgeons conduct research in conjunction with a number of Mayo laboratories, such as biomechanics, motion analysis, bone biology, and tissue regeneration and engineering.
Avenues being explored include:
- Risk profiling for treatment success
- Biologic augmentation for repair procedures
- Innovative tendon transfers for irreparable tears
- High-performance bone-preserving implants when replacement is the only alternative
Our health care teams at the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center in Minnesota investigate sports injury evaluation, treatment and prevention to provide optimal treatment to those involved in sports- or fitness-related activities.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on rotator cuff injury on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Rotator cuff injury care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 12, 2017
- DeLee JC, et al. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Rotator cuff tears. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00064. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Simons SM, et al. Rotator cuff tendinopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Sanchez-Sotelo J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 20, 2015.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 12, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Rotator cuff repair. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Miller HL. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 21, 2014.
- Hartzler RU, et al. Biomechanical effectiveness of different types of tendon transfers to the shoulder for external rotation. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2012;21:1370.
- Miller HL. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 8, 2015.
- Pagnano MW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 22, 2015.