- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors treat thousands of people with rotator cuff injuries each year and have extensive experience performing both routine and complex shoulder surgery procedures.
- Innovative methods. Mayo Clinic offers some treatment options for shoulder injuries and conditions that are available at only a few medical centers in the country. Mayo Clinic orthopedic surgeons perform hundreds of reverse shoulder replacements every year.
- New advances. Rotator cuff specialists collaborate with scientists in Mayo Clinic's laboratories for biomechanics and motion analysis to develop new treatment techniques to improve rotator cuff healing, rehabilitation and outcomes. Doctors and therapists with the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center have devised exercise programs to help prevent rotator cuff injury in high-risk individuals.
- Minimally invasive approach. Mayo Clinic doctors use minimally invasive techniques for many rotator cuff surgeries, with smaller incisions, less pain, shorter hospital stays and faster recovery than traditional open surgery.
- Coordinated care. A team of experts in orthopedic surgery, physical medicine and rehabilitation, sports medicine, and other areas works together to diagnose your problem and recommend the most appropriate treatment. Consultations with doctors, testing and treatment can usually be done in a single visit.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics and for rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Feb. 19, 2014
- DeLee JC, et al. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..X0001-2--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-3143-7&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1678/0.html. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Rotator cuff tears. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00064. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Simons SM, et al. Rotator cuff tendinopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed June 19, 2013.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 28, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Rotator cuff repair. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Rotator cuff tendinopathy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Khan K, et al. Overview of the management of overuse (chronic) tendinopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 19, 2013.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 21, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.