There's no specific test for rosacea. Instead, doctors rely on the history of your symptoms and a physical examination of your skin. In some cases, your doctor may have you undergo tests to rule out other conditions, such as other forms of acne, psoriasis, eczema or lupus. These conditions can sometimes cause signs and symptoms similar to those of rosacea.
If your eyes are involved, your doctor may refer you to an eye specialist (ophthalmologist).
Sept. 01, 2016
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Rosacea. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 20, 2016.
- Habif TP. Acne, rosacea, and related disorders. In: Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 6th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 20, 2016.
- Dahl MV. Rosacea: Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 20, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Rosacea. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 20, 2016.
- Maier LE. Management of rosacea. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Rosacea. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- van Zuuren EJ, et al. Interventions for rosacea. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.20.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed June 23, 2016.
- Fowler J, et al. Once-daily topical brimonidine tartrate gel 0·5% is a novel treatment for moderate to severe facial erythema of rosacea: Results of two multicentre, randomized and vehicle-controlled studies. British Journal of Dermatology. 2012;1663:633.
- Aldrich N, et al. Genetic vs environmental factors that correlate with rosacea: A cohort-based survey of twins. JAMA Dermatology. 2015;151:1213.
- Questions and answers about rosacea. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Rosacea/default.asp. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Isotretinoin: Drug information. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 20, 2016.
- Colloidal silver. www.naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed June 24, 2016.
- Emu oil. www.naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed June 24, 2016.
- Laurelwood. www.naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed June 24, 2016.
- Oregano oil. www.naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed June 24, 2016.
- Gibson LG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 12, 2016.