- Comprehensive heart care. Mayo Clinic cardiologists treat thousands of people annually with all types of heart conditions, including damage caused by rheumatic fever. Working as a team, doctors in various specialties provide comprehensive care tailored to your unique condition.
- Pediatric expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors have treated heart disease in children for more than 50 years. Pediatric cardiologists at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., have special training in treating children who have heart disease and team up with other specialists to treat children who have rheumatic fever.
- Cutting-edge medicine. If your or your child's heart valves are damaged as a result of rheumatic fever, eventually you or your child may need heart valve repair or heart valve replacement. Mayo Clinic heart surgeons have been instrumental in developing innovative surgical techniques to treat heart valve conditions. When possible, surgeons use minimally invasive heart surgery, which involves the use of smaller incisions.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Feb. 18, 2014
- Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0398-6..C2009-0-59734-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0398-6&about=true&uniqId=236798031-10. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Rheumatic fever. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/rheumatic_fever/rheumatic_fever.html. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Marijon E, et al. Rheumatic heart disease. The Lancet. 2012;379:953.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Chow AW, et al. Evaluation of acute pharyngitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Gibofsky A, et al. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of acute rheumatic fever. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Schmitt BD. Pediatric Telephone Protocols. 13th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2011:1.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 4, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.