Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
A liver biopsy — removal of a small piece of tissue for viewing under a microscope — helps with diagnosis and treatment of liver problems.
Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) — Overview covers definition, risks and results of this procedure.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Find out what you can expect during a skin biopsy.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Aug. 12, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- Cherry JD, et al. Feigin and Cherry's Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- NINDS Reye's syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/reyes_syndrome/reyes_syndrome.htm. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- What is Reye's syndrome? National Reye's Syndrome Foundation. http://www.reyessyndrome.org/what.html. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- Chiriboga CA. Acute toxic-metabolic encephalopathy in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- Reye's syndrome. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/miscellaneous_disorders_in_infants_and_children/reyes_syndrome.html. Accessed May 26, 2014.
- Medications containing aspirin (acetylsalicylate) and aspirin-like products. National Reye's Syndrome Foundation. http://www.reyessyndrome.org/. Accessed May 28, 2014.
- Renaud DL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 2, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.