Most children and teenagers who have Reye's syndrome survive, although varying degrees of permanent brain damage are possible. Without proper diagnosis and treatment, Reye's syndrome can be fatal within a few days.
Sep. 17, 2011
- NINDS Reye's syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/reyes_syndrome/reyes_syndrome.htm. Accessed May 27, 2011.
- Reye's syndrome. National Reye's Syndrome Foundation. http://www.reyessyndrome.org/pdfs/Awareness_Lists_English_full.pdf. Accessed May 27, 2011.
- Ropper AH, et al. The acquired metabolic disorders of the nervous syndrome. In: Ropper AH, et al. Adam's and Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3639722&searchStr=reye+syndrome#3639722. Accessed May 31, 2011.
- Stone CK, et al. Neurologic emergencies. In: Stone CK, et al. Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Emergency Medicine. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3108592&searchStr=reye+syndrome. Accessed May 31, 2011.
- Gosalakkal JA, et al. Reye syndrome and Reye-like syndrome. Pediatric Neurology. 2008;39:198.
- Reyes syndrome — Acute. Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed June 1, 2011.
- Kawasaki disease. American Heart Association. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4634. Accessed June 1, 2011.
- Recommended immunization schedules for persons aged 0 through 6 years — United States, 2011. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/0-6yrs-schedule-bw.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2011.
- Recommended immunization schedules for persons aged 7 through 18 years — United States, 2011. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/7-18yrs-schedule-bw.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.