Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine. Most cases are mild, but severe cases may require treatment with braces or surgery.
Tests and diagnosis
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Sept. 17, 2015
- Rett syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/rett/detail_rett.htm. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- Rett syndrome. National Organization for Rare Diseases. https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/rett-syndrome/. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- Rett syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/rett-syndrome. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- Schultz RJ, et al. Rett syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- Lotan M. Alternative therapeutic intervention for individuals with Rett syndrome. The Scientific World Journal. 2007;29:698.
- Rett syndrome: Condition information. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/rett/conditioninfo/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Aug. 5, 2015.
- Symons FJ, et al. Parent-reported pain in Rett syndrome. Clinical Journal of Pain. 2013;29:744.
- Byiers BJ, et al. Seizures and pain uncertainty associated with parenting stress and Rett syndrome. Journal of Child Neurology. 2014;29:526.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 17, 2015.
- Tervo RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 28, 2015.