DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
A retractile testicle is a testicle that may move back and forth between the scrotum and the groin. When the retractile testicle is residing in the groin, it might be easily guided by hand into its proper position in the scrotum — the bag of skin hanging behind the penis — during a physical exam.
For most boys, the problem of a retractile testicle goes away sometime before or during puberty. The testicle moves to its correct location in the scrotum and stays there permanently.
In fewer than 5 percent of cases, the retractile testicle remains in the groin and is no longer movable. When this happens, the condition is called an ascending testicle or an acquired undescended testicle.
Sept. 16, 2015
- Keys C, et al. Retractile testes: A review of the current literature. Journal of Pediatric Urology. 2012;8:2.
- Kliegman RM, et al., eds. Disorders and anomalies of the scrotal content. In: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 20th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Cooper CS, et al. Undescended testes (cryptorchidism) in children: Clinical features and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Agarwal PK, et al. Retractile testis—Is it really a normal variant? Journal of Urology. 2006;175:1496.
- Gearhart JP, et al., eds. Cryptorchidism. In: Pediatric Urology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Hack WW, et al. Acquired undescended testis: Putting the pieces together. International Journal of Andrology. 2012;35:41.
- Stec AA, et al. Incidence of testicular ascent in boys with retractile testes. Journal of Urology. 2007;178:1722.
- Cooper CS, et al. Undescended testes (cryptorchidism) in children: Overview of management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Kolon TF, et al. Evaluation and treatment of cryptorchidism: AUA guideline. Journal of Urology. 2014;192:337.
- Granberg CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 2, 2015.