Retinal diseases vary widely, but most of them cause visual symptoms. Retinal diseases can affect any part of your retina, a thin layer of tissue on the inside back wall of your eye.
The retina contains millions of light-sensitive cells (rods and cones) and other nerve cells that receive and organize visual information. Your retina sends this information to your brain through your optic nerve, enabling you to see.
Treatment is available for some retinal diseases. Depending on your condition, treatment goals may be to stop or slow the disease and preserve, improve or restore your vision. Untreated, some retinal diseases can cause severe vision loss or blindness.
Retinal disease care at Mayo Clinic
March 23, 2017
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed Nov. 1, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Age-related macular degeneration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Diabetic retinopathy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Retina and vitreous. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 30, 2014.
- Softing-Hataye AL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 23, 2016.
- Evaluation of the ophthalmologic patient. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/approach-to-the-ophthalmologic-patient/evaluation-of-the-ophthalmologic-patient. Dec. 2, 2016.
- Diabetic retinopathy PPP — Updated 2016. San Francisco, Calif.: American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/diabetic-retinopathy-ppp-updated-2016. Accessed Nov. 1, 2016.
- Gilca M, et al. Factors associated with outcomes of pneumatic retinopxey for rhegmatogenous retinal detachments: A retrospective review of 422 cases. Retina. 2014;34:693.
- Facts about age-related macular degeneration. National Eye Institute. https://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Age-related macular degeneration PPP – Updated 2015. San Francisco, Calif: American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/age-related-macular-degeneration-ppp-2015. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 7, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Retinal detachment. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Blurred vision. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/symptoms-of-ophthalmologic-disorders/blurred-vision. Accessed Dec. 5, 2016.
- Ryan SJ, et al. Macular hole. In: Retina. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 23, 2016.