- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic eye disease specialists (ophthalmologists) treat thousands of people for all types of retinal conditions. These highly skilled specialists have advanced diagnostic tools and offer the latest treatments in an effort to restore, preserve or improve vision or to slow or stop diseases.
- Nationally recognized expertise. Mayo Clinic ophthalmologists are widely respected for their expertise in rapidly evolving treatment options for retinal diseases, including many that are rare or complex. They regularly hold seminars for other physicians to share advances. And Mayo Clinic offers a retinal and vitreous surgery fellowship. This means doctors from throughout the United States who want to specialize in retinal diseases seek advanced training at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked high performing for ophthalmology by U.S. News & World Report.
March 23, 2017
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed Nov. 1, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Age-related macular degeneration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Diabetic retinopathy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Retina and vitreous. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 30, 2014.
- Softing-Hataye AL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 23, 2016.
- Evaluation of the ophthalmologic patient. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/approach-to-the-ophthalmologic-patient/evaluation-of-the-ophthalmologic-patient. Dec. 2, 2016.
- Diabetic retinopathy PPP — Updated 2016. San Francisco, Calif.: American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/diabetic-retinopathy-ppp-updated-2016. Accessed Nov. 1, 2016.
- Gilca M, et al. Factors associated with outcomes of pneumatic retinopxey for rhegmatogenous retinal detachments: A retrospective review of 422 cases. Retina. 2014;34:693.
- Facts about age-related macular degeneration. National Eye Institute. https://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Age-related macular degeneration PPP – Updated 2015. San Francisco, Calif: American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/age-related-macular-degeneration-ppp-2015. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 7, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Retinal detachment. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Blurred vision. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/symptoms-of-ophthalmologic-disorders/blurred-vision. Accessed Dec. 5, 2016.
- Ryan SJ, et al. Macular hole. In: Retina. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 23, 2016.