The retina is a thin layer of tissue on the inside back wall of your eye. It contains millions of light-sensitive cells and other nerve cells that receive and organize visual information. Your retina sends this information to your brain through your optic nerve, enabling you to see.
Retinal diseases can affect any part of your retina and can cause total blindness. Disease affecting the edge of your retina can affect your side (peripheral) vision. Some diseases affect the part of your retina that serves your central vision (the macula and the fovea). Many retinal diseases share some common symptoms and treatments. The main goals of treatment are to stop or slow the disease and preserve, improve or restore your vision.
March 11, 2016
- Epiretinal membrane. Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed Oct. 30, 2014.
- Yanoff M, ed., et al. Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 30, 2014.
- Facts about age-related macular degeneration. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/armd_facts.asp. Accessed Oct. 30, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Age-related macular degeneration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Diabetic retinopathy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Posterior vitreous detachment. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Gilca M, et al. Factors associated with outcomes of pneumatic retinopexy for rhegmatogenous retinal detachments: A retrospective review of 422 cases. Retina. 2014;34:693.
- Al Shamsi HN, et al. Diabetic macular edema: New promising therapies. World Journal of Diabetes. 2013;4:324.
- Facts about diabetic retinopathy. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/diabetic/retinopathy.asp. Accessed Oct. 31, 2014.
- Preferred practice pattern: Diabetic retinopathy summary benchmarks. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/guidelines-browse?filter=preferredpracticepatterns. Accessed Oct. 31, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 7, 2015.
- Patel SV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 23, 2015.