Coping and support
Retinal detachment may cause you to lose vision. Depending on your degree of vision loss, your lifestyle might change significantly.
You may find the following ideas useful as you learn to live with impaired vision:
- Check into transportation. Investigate vans and shuttles, volunteer driving networks, or ride shares available in your area for people with impaired vision.
- Get glasses. Optimize the vision you have with glasses that are specifically tailored for your eyes.
- Get help from technology. Digital talking books and computer screen readers can help with reading, and other new technology continues to advance.
- Brighten your home. Have proper light in your home for reading and other activities.
- Make your home safer. Eliminate throw rugs and place colored tape on the edges of steps. Consider installing motion-activated lights.
- Enlist the help of others. Tell friends and family members about your vision problems so they can help you.
- Talk to others with impaired vision. Take advantage of online networks, support groups and resources for people with impaired vision.