Retinal detachment may cause you to lose vision in the portion of your field of vision that corresponds to the detached part of the retina. Depending on your degree of vision loss, your lifestyle might change significantly. Yet there are many things you can do to cope with impaired vision:
July 08, 2014
- Check into transportation. Investigate vans and shuttles, volunteer driving networks, or ride shares available in your area for people with impaired vision.
- Get special glasses. Optimize the vision you have with glasses that are specifically prescribed for the effects of retinal detachment. You may also be prescribed other visual devices.
- Get help from technology. Digital talking books and computer screen readers can help with reading, and other new technology continues to advance.
- Brighten your home. Have proper light in your home for reading and other activities.
- Make your home safer. Eliminate throw rugs and place colored tape on the edges of steps. Consider installing motion-activated lights.
- Enlist the help of others. Tell friends and family members about your vision problems so they can help you.
- Talk to others with impaired vision. Take advantage of online networks, support groups and resources for people with impaired vision.
- Facts about retinal detachment. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/retinaldetach/retinaldetach.asp. Accessed Jan.31, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html# Accessed Jan. 31, 2013.
- Posterior vitreous detachment, retinal breaks, and lattice degeneration PPP. San Francisco, CA. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/PPP_Content.aspx?cid=8d149a8a-0c90-4bf8-b3e1-beaffde76079. Accessed Feb. 1, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed Jan. 27, 2013.
- Arroyo JG. Retinal detachment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb.1, 2013.
- Information for healthy vision. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/lowvision/content/resources.asp. Accessed Feb. 1, 2013.
- Programs and services. American Association for the Blind. http://www.afb.org/default.aspx. Accessed Feb. 1, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.