Renal artery stenosis is the narrowing of one or more arteries that carry blood to your kidneys (renal arteries).
Narrowing of the arteries prevents normal amounts of oxygen-rich blood from reaching your kidneys. Your kidneys need adequate blood flow to help filter waste products and remove excess fluids. Reduced blood flow may increase blood pressure in your whole body (systemic blood pressure) and injure kidney tissue.
April 30, 2015
- Renal artery stenosis. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/RenalArteryStenosis/. Accessed March 5, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al. Vascular disorders of the kidney. In: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 3, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Renal artery stenosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 3, 2015.
- Taal MW, et al. Renovascular hypertension and ischemic nephropathy. In: Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 5, 2015.
- Tafur-Soto JD, et al. Renal artery stenosis. Cardiology Clinics. 2015;33:59.
- Textor S. Treatment of unilateral atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 3, 2015.
- Textor S. Treatment of bilateral atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis or stenosis to a solitary functioning kidney. http://www.uptodate.com/home. March 3, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Renal artery angioplasty and stenting. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Cooper CJ, et al. Stenting and medical therapy for atherosclerotic renal-artery stenosis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;370:13.
- Weight management and blood pressure. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/PreventionTreatmentofHighBloodPressure/Weight-Management-and-Blood-Pressure_UCM_301884_Article.jsp. Accessed April 7, 2015.
- Sheps SG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 8, 2015.
- Textor SC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 8, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.