Researchers at Mayo Clinic actively study the causes, diagnosis and treatment of REM sleep behavior disorder and other sleep disorders, such as:
- How other neurological diseases, including dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson's disease, are related to REM sleep behavior disorder
- Possible causes, diagnosis and treatment options for REM sleep behavior disorder, including participation in the International Rapid Eye Movement Sleep Behavior Disorder Study Group
- Neuroimaging, neurocognitive, motor and other tests that may provide insight into the risk of evolving symptoms of a neurodegenerative disorder
- Clinical trials for sleep disorders treatments
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on sleep disorders on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
June 20, 2017
- Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Sateia M. REM sleep behavior disorder. In: International Classification of Sleep Disorders. 3rd ed. Darien, Ill.: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2014. http://www.aasmnet.org/EBooks/ICSD3. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. REM sleep behavior disorder. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 19, 2017.
- Aurora RN, et al. Best practice guide for the treatment of REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD). Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2010;6:85.
- Howell M, et al. Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- McGrane IR, et al. Melatonin therapy for REM sleep behavior disorder: A critical review of evidence. Sleep Medicine. 2015;16:19.
- Sleep: A dynamic activity. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- In-lab sleep study. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. http://www.sleepeducation.org/essentials-in-sleep/in-lab-sleep-study. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Postuma RB, et al. Neurodegeneration in REM sleep behavior disorder: Stratification keeps improving. Neurology. In press. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 10, 2017.
REM sleep behavior disorder