- Expertise. Each Mayo Clinic location — in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota — offers a sleep medicine center accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and staffed by experts in sleep disorders.
- Mayo Sleep Questionnaire. Mayo Clinic researchers developed and use the Mayo Sleep Questionnaire for the diagnosis of many types of sleep disorders.
- Research. The multispecialty team of pulmonologists, neurologists, psychiatrists and other specialties as needed are engaged in an array of clinical, educational and research activities on sleep disorders. Researchers study new diagnosis and treatment options for sleep disorders. You may have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's Center for Sleep Medicine in Minnesota, Sleep Disorders Center in Arizona, and Sleep Disorders Center in Florida.
June 20, 2017
- Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Sateia M. REM sleep behavior disorder. In: International Classification of Sleep Disorders. 3rd ed. Darien, Ill.: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2014. http://www.aasmnet.org/EBooks/ICSD3. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. REM sleep behavior disorder. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 19, 2017.
- Aurora RN, et al. Best practice guide for the treatment of REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD). Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2010;6:85.
- Howell M, et al. Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- McGrane IR, et al. Melatonin therapy for REM sleep behavior disorder: A critical review of evidence. Sleep Medicine. 2015;16:19.
- Sleep: A dynamic activity. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- In-lab sleep study. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. http://www.sleepeducation.org/essentials-in-sleep/in-lab-sleep-study. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Postuma RB, et al. Neurodegeneration in REM sleep behavior disorder: Stratification keeps improving. Neurology. In press. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 10, 2017.
REM sleep behavior disorder