Comprehensive care. People with rectal prolapse often have other types of pelvic organ prolapse. Mayo Clinic's integrated practice gives you rapid access to all the experts needed to solve your problems. If you need surgery, Mayo specialists work together so that in most cases you have only one procedure.
- Experience. Each year doctors at Mayo Clinic treat more than 350 people who have rectal prolapse.
- Advanced techniques. State-of-the-art technology helps your doctor see moving images of the entire pelvis and determine the most appropriate treatment for you.
- Intensive physical therapy. Mayo offers comprehensive biofeedback treatment as a type of physical therapy to increase pelvic floor muscle strength.
- Timely care. A detailed itinerary for appointments, tests and procedures lets you make the most of your time at the clinic. Mayo Clinic technicians run all tests and labs themselves, which means tests taken in the morning can be reviewed the same afternoon. Mayo's collaborative approach means two or three days often yields the same diagnosis and care insights that could take weeks in less-coordinated institutions.
- Care at Mayo Clinic revolves around you. Mayo Clinic doctors get to know you and your concerns completely, and explain your options in plain language.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
March 27, 2015
- Bordeianou L, et al. Rectal prolapse: An overview of clinical features, diagnosis, and patient-specific management strategies. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2014;18:1059.
- Walters MD. Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan 27, 2015.
- Varma MG, et al. Surgical approach to rectal procidentia (rectal prolapse). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. How is physical therapy used to treat pelvic floor muscle dysfunction? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. How is biofeedback used to treat pelvic floor muscle dysfunction? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 27, 2015.
- Chua HK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 21, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.