- Experience and expertise. As one of the nation's leading centers for screening and treatment of colon and rectal cancers, Mayo Clinic performs more than 20,000 colonoscopies and hundreds of virtual colonoscopies each year. Mayo Clinic led the way in studying and using virtual colonoscopy and was one of the first to offer it for routine care.
- Multispecialty team. At Mayo Clinic, specialists in medical oncology, gastroenterology, radiation oncology, colon and rectal surgery, radiology, medical genetics, nutrition, and other areas work together to ensure that you receive comprehensive care. Experienced and caring staff also provide support services for you and your family before, during and after treatment.
- Advanced screening techniques. Advances in screening techniques, some of which were pioneered at Mayo Clinic, make early diagnosis possible.
- Minimally invasive techniques. At Mayo Clinic, almost all colorectal surgeries are performed using minimally invasive (laparoscopic) surgery. An advanced procedure called robotic surgery gives surgeons a degree of precision and control that can't be achieved with standard laparoscopic techniques. This typically results in a shorter hospital stay, a faster, less painful recovery, and preservation of normal bowel, bladder and sexual function. Mayo colorectal surgeons are among the nation's most experienced and successful in these types of techniques.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, recognizing scientific excellence and a multispecialty approach focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Rectal cancer often doesn't cause symptoms in the early stages. The most common signs of the disease include:
- Rectal bleeding
- Changes in appetite and the frequency, consistency or size of bowel movements
- Unintended weight loss
- Extreme tiredness
Although many rectal cancers develop for reasons that aren't well understood, certain factors increase your risk, including:
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked high performing for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Jun. 27, 2013