Lifestyle and home remedies
The following can help reduce the discomfort of Ramsay Hunt syndrome:
- Keep areas affected by the rash clean.
- Apply cool, wet compresses to the rash to ease pain.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever or anti-inflammatory drug, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others).
If facial weakness makes it difficult for you to close one of your eyes, take the following steps to protect your vision:
- Use moisturizing eyedrops throughout the day if your eye becomes dry.
- At night, apply ointment to the eye and tape your eyelid shut or wear an eye patch.
Children are now routinely vaccinated against chickenpox, which greatly reduces the chances of them becoming infected with the naturally occurring chickenpox virus. A shingles vaccine for people age 60 or older also is recommended.