Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Treatments and drugs
Blood transfusions boost blood levels that are low due to surgery, injury or disease. Learn about the benefits, risks and what to expect.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Oct. 06, 2012
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed June 5, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-
- 323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed June 5, 2012..
- Radiation exposure and contamination. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries_poisoning/radiation_exposure_and_contamination/radiation_exposure_and_contamination.html?qt=radiation%20exposure&alt=sh. Accessed June 5, 2012.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed June 5, 2012.
- Lin EC. Radiation risk from medical imaging. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:2042.
- Christodouleas JP, et al. Short-term and long-term health risks of nuclear-power-plant accidents. New England Journal of Medicine. 2011;364:2334.
- Cardis E, et al. The Chernobyl accident — An epidemiological perspective. Clinical Oncology. 2011;23:251.
- Radiation emergencies. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/. Accessed June 5, 2012.