- Teamwork. At Mayo Clinic, gastroenterologists, general surgeons and radiologists work as a multidisciplinary team to care for people with radiation enteritis. Other professionals are included as needed.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience diagnosing and treating radiation enteritis. Each year, about 100 people with radiation enteritis receive care at Mayo Clinic.
A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals.
The range of treatments offered to people with radiation enteritis includes supportive care to treat signs and symptoms, surgery to remove a portion of the intestine, and a variety of options to improve nutrition while your intestine heals.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for digestive disorders.
July 25, 2014
- Yeo CJ, et al. Shackelford's Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Roberts I. Diagnosis and management of chronic radiation enteritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Radiation enteritis. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/gastrointestinalcomplications/Patient/page6. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2013.
- Picco MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. April 28, 2014.
- Czito BG, et al. Gastrointestinal toxicity of radiation therapy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 7, 2014.