To diagnose Q fever, your doctor will perform one or more blood tests, along with additional tests if chronic Q fever is suspected.
Your doctor may want to check your blood for antibodies to the Coxiella burnetii antigen and for evidence of liver damage.
Jul. 07, 2011
- Chest X-ray. Q fever can cause pneumonia in some people. A chest X-ray can be used to see if your lungs look healthy.
- Echocardiography. If chronic Q fever is suspected, your doctor may do an echocardiogram to check for problems with your heart valves.
- Q fever. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/qfever/index.html. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Marrie TJ, et al. Coxiella burnetii (Q fever). In: Mandell JE, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Raoult D. Clinical features, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of Q fever. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Raoult D. Microbiology and epidemiology of Q fever. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Cristofaro P, et al. Q fever. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed May 6, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.