You might first bring your symptoms to the attention of your family doctor, but he or she might refer you to an infectious disease specialist.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- What are your symptoms and when did they begin?
- Are any of your heart valves malformed?
- Have you ever had heart surgery?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
Jul. 07, 2011
- Have you been exposed to any barnyard or livestock environments recently?
- Have you come into contact with newborn animals within the past few weeks?
- Do you live near a large farming area?
- Are you pregnant?
- Q fever. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/qfever/index.html. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Marrie TJ, et al. Coxiella burnetii (Q fever). In: Mandell JE, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Raoult D. Clinical features, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of Q fever. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Raoult D. Microbiology and epidemiology of Q fever. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Cristofaro P, et al. Q fever. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed May 6, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.