You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor or a general practitioner. However, in some cases when you call to set up an appointment, you may be referred immediately to a doctor who specializes in treating skin conditions (dermatologist).
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list that answers some of the following questions:
- When did your symptoms begin?
- Have you had similar symptoms in the past? If so, what treatment worked then?
- What medications and supplements do you take regularly?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, including:
Nov. 27, 2012
- Did you have any damage to your skin, such as a puncture or cut, in the area where the sore developed?
- What treatments have you tried already? Have they helped any?
- Do you have any inflammatory medical conditions, such as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis or rheumatoid arthritis?
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Sept. 20, 2012.
- Moschella SL. Neutrophilic dermatoses. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 20, 2012.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Sept. 20, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Sept. 20, 2012.
- Dabade TS, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of the neutrophilic dermatoses (pyoderma gangrenosum, Sweet's syndrome). Dermatologic Therapy. 2011;24:273.
- Miller J, et al. Pyoderma gagrenosum: A review and update on new therapies. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;62:646.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 27, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.