Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If you suspect that your child has pyloric stenosis, you're likely to start by seeing your child's regular doctor. However, you may be referred to a doctor who specializes in treating digestive disorders (gastroenterologist).

Here's some information to help you get ready for your appointment, and what to expect from your doctor.

What you can do

  • Write down any signs you've noticed in your baby, including any that may seem unrelated to the reason for which you scheduled the appointment. Try to keep track of the times your baby vomits. Is it always after eating? Note if the amount of vomit appears to be most or just part of what the baby has eaten, and if the vomit is forcefully projected.
  • Write down questions to ask your doctor.

Questions to ask your doctor

Some basic questions to ask your doctor include:

  • What's the most likely cause of my baby's symptoms?
  • What kinds of tests does my baby need? Do these tests require any special preparation?
  • Will surgery stop the symptoms permanently?
  • Is surgery the only treatment?
  • What are the risks associated with surgery?
  • What are the risks associated with the general anesthesia needed for the surgery?
  • Will there be any dietary restrictions after surgery?
  • Are there any brochures or other printed material that I can take with me? What websites do you recommend?

What to expect from your doctor

Be ready to answer questions your doctor may ask:

  • When did your baby first begin experiencing symptoms?
  • Have the symptoms been continuous or occasional? Do they occur only after eating?
  • Does your baby seem hungry after vomiting?
  • Does the vomit come out forcefully?
  • What was your baby's last recorded weight?
Nov. 16, 2012