Lifestyle and home remedies
Regular physical activity is key to good health. But before you start a new exercise routine, you may want to check with your doctor first.
Stressed out? Try meditation. Learn easy, quick techniques that you can use at work, waiting in line or virtually anywhere.
Quitting smoking is hard, no question. Use these tried-and-true strategies to help you quit, and refer back to them as often as needed.
Why are whole grains better than refined grains?
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
Calcium channel blockers, also called calcium antagonists, treat a variety of conditions, such as high blood pressure, migraines and Raynaud's disease.
March 27, 2013
- McLaughlin VV, et al. ACCF/AHA 2009 expert consensus document on pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;53:1573.
- Pulmonary hypertension. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/TheImpactofCongenitalHeartDefects/Pulmonary-Hypertension_UCM_307044_Article.jsp. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=pulmonaryarterialhypertension. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Austin ED, et al. Genetics and mediators in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Clinical Chest Medicine. 2007;28:43.
- Connolly HM, et al. Evaluation and prognosis of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Badesch DB, et al. Diagnosis and assessment of pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S55.
- Simonneau G, et al. Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S43.
- Badesch DB, et al. Medical therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension: Updated ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2007;131:1917.
- Keogh AM, et al. Interventional and surgical modalities of treatment in pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S67.
- Galie N, et al. Tadalafil therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. Circulation. 2009;119:2894.
- Letairis (prescribing information). Foster City, Calif.: Gilead Sciences, Inc.; 2011. http://www.letairis.com/patients/fpi.asp. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Rubin LJ, et al. Diagnostic evaluation of pulmonary hypertension. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- McGoon MD, et al. Pulmonary arterial hypertension: Diagnosis and management. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2009;84:191.
- Fuster V, ed., et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Feb. 3, 2012.