Although anyone can develop either type of pulmonary hypertension, older adults are more likely to have secondary pulmonary hypertension, and young people are more likely to have idiopathic pulmonary hypertension. Idiopathic pulmonary hypertension is also more common in women than it is in men.
Another risk factor for pulmonary hypertension is a family history of the disease. Some genes could be linked to idiopathic pulmonary hypertension. These genes might cause an overgrowth of cells in the small arteries of your lungs, making them narrower.
If one of your family members develops idiopathic pulmonary hypertension and tests positive for a gene mutation that can cause pulmonary hypertension, your doctor or genetic counselor may recommend that you or your family members be tested for the mutation.
Mar. 27, 2013
- McLaughlin VV, et al. ACCF/AHA 2009 expert consensus document on pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;53:1573.
- Pulmonary hypertension. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/TheImpactofCongenitalHeartDefects/Pulmonary-Hypertension_UCM_307044_Article.jsp. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=pulmonaryarterialhypertension. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Austin ED, et al. Genetics and mediators in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Clinical Chest Medicine. 2007;28:43.
- Connolly HM, et al. Evaluation and prognosis of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Badesch DB, et al. Diagnosis and assessment of pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S55.
- Simonneau G, et al. Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S43.
- Badesch DB, et al. Medical therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension: Updated ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2007;131:1917.
- Keogh AM, et al. Interventional and surgical modalities of treatment in pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S67.
- Galie N, et al. Tadalafil therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. Circulation. 2009;119:2894.
- Letairis (prescribing information). Foster City, Calif.: Gilead Sciences, Inc.; 2011. http://www.letairis.com/patients/fpi.asp. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Rubin LJ, et al. Diagnostic evaluation of pulmonary hypertension. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- McGoon MD, et al. Pulmonary arterial hypertension: Diagnosis and management. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2009;84:191.
- Fuster V, ed., et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Feb. 3, 2012.