Pulmonary hypertension is a type of high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of your heart.
Pulmonary hypertension begins when tiny arteries in your lungs, called pulmonary arteries, and capillaries become narrowed, blocked or destroyed. This makes it harder for blood to flow through your lungs, and raises pressure within your lungs' arteries. As the pressure builds, your heart's lower right chamber (right ventricle) must work harder to pump blood through your lungs, eventually causing your heart muscle to weaken and eventually fail.
Pulmonary hypertension is a serious illness that becomes progressively worse and is sometimes fatal. Although pulmonary hypertension isn't curable, treatments are available that can help lessen symptoms and improve your quality of life.
Mar. 27, 2013
- McLaughlin VV, et al. ACCF/AHA 2009 expert consensus document on pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;53:1573.
- Pulmonary hypertension. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/TheImpactofCongenitalHeartDefects/Pulmonary-Hypertension_UCM_307044_Article.jsp. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=pulmonaryarterialhypertension. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Austin ED, et al. Genetics and mediators in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Clinical Chest Medicine. 2007;28:43.
- Connolly HM, et al. Evaluation and prognosis of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Badesch DB, et al. Diagnosis and assessment of pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S55.
- Simonneau G, et al. Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S43.
- Badesch DB, et al. Medical therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension: Updated ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2007;131:1917.
- Keogh AM, et al. Interventional and surgical modalities of treatment in pulmonary hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;54:S67.
- Galie N, et al. Tadalafil therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. Circulation. 2009;119:2894.
- Letairis (prescribing information). Foster City, Calif.: Gilead Sciences, Inc.; 2011. http://www.letairis.com/patients/fpi.asp. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- Rubin LJ, et al. Diagnostic evaluation of pulmonary hypertension. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 25, 2012.
- McGoon MD, et al. Pulmonary arterial hypertension: Diagnosis and management. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2009;84:191.
- Fuster V, ed., et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Feb. 3, 2012.