If your primary care doctor suspects a serious lung problem, you're likely to be referred to a pulmonologist, a doctor who specializes in lung disorders.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you might want to write a list that answers the following questions:
- What are your symptoms and when did they start?
- Are you receiving treatment for any other medical conditions?
- What medications and supplements have you taken in the past five years?
- Do you smoke? If so, how much and for how long?
- What are all the occupations you've ever had, even if only for a few months?
- Do any members of your family have a chronic lung disease of any kind?
- Have you ever received chemotherapy or radiation treatments for cancer?
- Do you have any other medical conditions, especially arthritis?
You might also want to have a friend or family member accompany you to the appointment. Pulmonary fibrosis is a serious and complex disease. A friend or family member can provide emotional support and help remember information that you may have forgotten or missed. It is OK to take some notes.
- What is idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/idiopathic-pulmonary-fibrosis. Accessed June 22, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pulmonary-disorders/interstitial-lung-diseases/idiopathic-pulmonary-fibrosis. Accessed May 3, 2016.
- King TE. Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Clinical evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- King TE. Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Diagnostic testing. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- What is pulmonary hypertension? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pah. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Klings ES. Cor pulmonale. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- King TE. Role of lung biopsy in the diagnosis of interstitial lung disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Islam S. Flexible bronchoscopy in adults: Preparation, procedural technique, and complications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- King TE. Treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- Raghu G, et al. An Official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT clinical practice guideline: Treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. An Update of the 2011 clinical practice guideline. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2015;192:e3.
- Ryu JH, et al. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: Evolving concepts. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:1130.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2005.
- Puglisi S, et al. New perspectives on management of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Therapeutic Advances in Chronic Disease. 2016;7:108.
- Lake FR. Interstitial lung disease in rheumatoid arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 15, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 11, 2016.
- Meining A. Confocal laser endomicroscopy and endocytoscopy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Wellikoff A, et al. Probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy imaging of interstitial lung disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2013;187:A5796.
- Yserbyt J, et al. Perspectives using probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy of the respiratory tract. Swiss Medical Weekly. 2013;143:w13764.
- Scott JP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 21, 2016.
- Walsh SL, et al. Interobserver agreement for the ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT criteria for a UIP pattern on CT. Thorax. 2016;71:45.
- Sista RR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona. July 22, 2016.