Extreme temperatures — hot or cold — can take a toll on your skin. Here's how to pamper and protect it.
Corticosteroids, such as prednisone and cortisone, are used to successfully treat a variety of conditions. But these medications can also cause unwanted side effects. Get the facts here.
Find out what you can expect during a skin biopsy.
Want to pamper your skin? It might be simpler — and less expensive — than you think. Start by getting back to the basics.
When you identify unhealthy ways of reacting to stress, you can begin to control the stress, rather than letting it control you.
Apr. 11, 2014
- Bolognia JL, et al. Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Penn.: Saunders Elsevier: 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Psoriasis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Psoriasis/.Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Weigle N, et al. Psoriasis. American Family Physician. 2013;87:626.
- Feldman SR, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Armstrong AW, et al. The association between psoriasis and obesity: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Nutrition and Diabetes. 2012;2:1.
- Korman N. Comorbid disease in psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Azfar RS, et al. Increased risk of diabetes mellitus and likelihood of receiving diabetes mellitus treatment in patients with psoriasis. Archives of Dermatology. 2012;148:995.
- Armstrong AW, et al. Coronary artery disease in patients with psoriasis referred for coronary angiography. American Journal of Cardiology. 2012;109:976.
- Ahlehoff, et al. Psoriasis and risk of atrial fibrillation and ischaemic stroke: a Danish nationwide cohort study. European Heart Journal. 2012;33:2054.
- Yeung H, et al. Psoriasis severity and the prevalence of major medical comorbidity: A population-based study. JAMA Dermatology. 2013;149:1173.
- Wan J, et al. Risk of moderate to advanced kidney disease in patients with psoriasis: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2013;347:1.
- Papoutsaki M, et al. Treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Biodrugs. 2013;27:3.
- Feldman SR, et al. Treatment of psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Almutawa F, et al. Systematic review of UV-based therapy for psoriasis. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2013;14:87.
- De Migeul R, et al. Efficacy, safety, and cost of Goeckerman therapy compared with biologics in the treatment of moderate to severe psoriasis. International Journal of Dermatology. 2009;48:653.
- Garcia-Perez ME, et al. New therapies under development for psoriasis treatment. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2013;25:480.
- Korteum KR, et al. Results of Goeckerman treatment for psoriasis in children: A 21-year retrospective review. Pediatric Dermatology. 2010;27:518.
- Aloe. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Fish oil. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Oregon grape. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.