You normally lose about 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water every day — much more during exercise or illness. Learn how to stay hydrated.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Tests and diagnosis
Has your doctor recommended a colonoscopy? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
Has your doctor recommended a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Dec. 05, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Oct. 21, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Oct. 21, 2012.
- Kelly CP. Current strategies for management of initial Clostridium difficile infection. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2012;7:S5.
- Ananthakrishnan AN. Clostridium difficile infection: Epidemiology, risk factors and management. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2011;8:17.
- Johnson S. Meeting the challenge of recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2012;7:S11.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Oct. 21, 2012.
- Gallegos-Orozco JF, et al. Successful colonoscopic fecal transplant for severe acute Clostridium difficile pseudomembranous colitis. Revista de gastroenterología de México. 2012;77:40.
- Diarrhea. ADA Nutrition Care Manual. http://nutritioncaremanual.org/vault/editor/Docs/DiarrheaNutritionTherapy_FINAL.pdf. Accessed Oct.21, 2012.