Pseudogout signs and symptoms can mimic those of gout and other types of arthritis, so lab and imaging tests are usually necessary to confirm a diagnosis.
Blood tests can check for problems with your thyroid and parathyroid glands, as well as for a variety of mineral imbalances that have been linked to pseudogout. Your doctor may also use a needle to withdraw a sample of the fluid within your affected joint. This fluid can be tested for the presence of crystals.
X-rays of your affected joint often can reveal evidence of joint damage, along with crystal deposits in the joint's cartilage.
July 27, 2012
- Pseudogout. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/pseudogout.asp. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Becker MA, et al. Pathogenesis and etiology of calcium pyrophosphate crystal deposition disease. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Becker MA, et al. Treatment of calcium pyrophosphate crystal deposition disease. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.