Prostatitis is swelling and inflammation of the prostate gland, a walnut-sized gland located directly below the bladder in men. The prostate gland produces fluid (semen) that nourishes and transports sperm.
Prostatitis often causes painful or difficult urination. Other symptoms of prostatitis include pain in the groin, pelvic area or genitals and sometimes flu-like symptoms.
Prostatitis affects men of all ages but tends to be more common in men 50 years of age or younger. Prostatitis can be caused by a number of different things. If it's caused by a bacterial infection, it can usually be treated with antibiotics. However, sometimes prostatitis isn't caused by a bacterial infection or an exact cause is never identified.
Depending on the cause, prostatitis may come on gradually or suddenly. It may get better quickly, either on its own or with treatment. Some types of prostatitis last for months or keep recurring (chronic prostatitis).
Mar. 04, 2014
- Meyrier A. Acute bacterial prostatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Meyrier A, et al. Chronic bacterial prostatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Murphy AB, et al. Pharmacotherapy strategies in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome management. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2010;11:1255.
- Ramakrishnan K, et al. Prostatitis: Acute and chronic. Primary Care. 2010;37:547.
- Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Castle EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Oct. 12, 2013.
- Pontari M. Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Sharp VJ, et al. Prostatitis: Diagnosis and treatment. American Family Physician. 2010;82:397.
- Anothaisintawee T, et al. Management of Chronic Prostatitis/ Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2011;305:78.
- Duclos AJ, et al. Current treatment options in the management of chronic prostatitis. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management. 2007;3:507.