Complications of prostatitis can include:
- Bacterial infection of the blood (bacteremia)
- Inflammation of the coiled tube attached to the back of the testicle (epididymitis)
- Pus-filled cavity in the prostate (prostatic abscess)
- Semen abnormalities and infertility (this can occur with chronic prostatitis)
- Elevated prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels
Prostatitis, cancer and PSA levels
Prostatitis can cause elevated levels of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), a protein produced by the prostate. PSA testing is generally used to screen for prostate cancer. Cancerous cells produce more PSA than do noncancerous cells, so higher than normal levels of PSA in the blood may indicate prostate cancer. However, conditions other than prostate cancer, including prostatitis, also can increase PSA levels.
There's no direct evidence that prostatitis can lead to prostate cancer.
March 04, 2014
- Meyrier A. Acute bacterial prostatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Meyrier A, et al. Chronic bacterial prostatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Murphy AB, et al. Pharmacotherapy strategies in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome management. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2010;11:1255.
- Ramakrishnan K, et al. Prostatitis: Acute and chronic. Primary Care. 2010;37:547.
- Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Castle EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Oct. 12, 2013.
- Pontari M. Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Sharp VJ, et al. Prostatitis: Diagnosis and treatment. American Family Physician. 2010;82:397.
- Anothaisintawee T, et al. Management of Chronic Prostatitis/ Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2011;305:78.
- Duclos AJ, et al. Current treatment options in the management of chronic prostatitis. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management. 2007;3:507.