Acute bacterial prostatitis is often caused by common strains of bacteria. The infection may start when bacteria carried in urine leaks into your prostate. Antibiotics are used to treat it. If bacteria aren't eliminated with antibiotics because they "hide" in the prostate, prostatitis may recur or be difficult to treat. This is called chronic bacterial prostatitis.
Bacterial infection isn't the only cause of prostatitis. Other causes can include:
- Immune system disorder
- Nervous system disorder
- Injury to the prostate or prostate area
In many cases of prostatitis, however, the cause is never identified.
Mar. 04, 2014
- Meyrier A. Acute bacterial prostatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Meyrier A, et al. Chronic bacterial prostatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Murphy AB, et al. Pharmacotherapy strategies in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome management. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2010;11:1255.
- Ramakrishnan K, et al. Prostatitis: Acute and chronic. Primary Care. 2010;37:547.
- Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Castle EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Oct. 12, 2013.
- Pontari M. Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 9, 2013.
- Sharp VJ, et al. Prostatitis: Diagnosis and treatment. American Family Physician. 2010;82:397.
- Anothaisintawee T, et al. Management of Chronic Prostatitis/ Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2011;305:78.
- Duclos AJ, et al. Current treatment options in the management of chronic prostatitis. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management. 2007;3:507.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.